If you could add in just one food supplement this summer, that would give you the most benefits, what should it be? Flax seed. The overall benefits of these tiny seeds and oil are pretty incredible. Here’s why…and I think you’ll agree.
Flax seeds have the power to impact almost every body system. Though some of us grew up with the no-fat/low-fat days of the 90s, the oils and fats we eat play a critical role in our health. Flax seeds and flax oil are unique, as they can help swing you in to the oil-balance your body needs to be at its best. They contain Omega-3s, essential fatty acids that your body can not produce, so they must come from your daily eating. For wellness and healing, Omega 3s need to be part of your daily lifestyle. Here are some of the unique, healing benefits of flax seeds and their omega-3s:
- Form healthy cell membranes and allow for cell “communication”
- Fight oxidation (high antioxidant capacity)
- Prevent and fight cancer, especially breast, prostate and colon cancer
- Lower cholesterol
- Reduce triglycerides
- Help regulate blood sugars
- Lower and regulate blood pressure
- Improve digestion and regularity (great source of fiber)
- Reduce inflammation
- Stabilize and balance hormone levels
- Reduce blood “stickiness”
- Protect and clear arteries
- Regulate and boost moods
- Strengthen the immune system
- Improve poor appetite
- Assist in weight loss, keeping you feeling more full and satisfied
- Aid in reducing belly fat
- Help balance hormones
- Support detoxification pathways
- Improve nutrient absorption
Flax seed is equally important as flax oil. You need both. The amount of seeds to get a good dose of the essential fatty acids would be hard to consume. Yet, the oil doesn’t contain the all-important fiber or typically, the seed’s lignans, the unique phytonutrients in flax. Lignans contain some of the most potent antioxidants, and rank as the top source in our diet, even beating out the well-known, high-antioxidant blueberries.
How much and how do you make flax taste good? Here are some great tips.